South African Pickled Fish
South African Pickled Fish (Serves 8)
1 cup flour
Pinch of salt
1 tsp turmeric
2 packs (500g each) Sea Harvest Cape Whiting Steaks, defrosted
1 cup cooking oil
1 cup water
1 cup Safari brown vinegar
5 bay leaves
2 tsp black peppercorns
2 tsp corianders seeds
1 tbsp turmeric
2 tbsp curry powder
Salt, to taste
5 onions, sliced into rings
2 tbsp apricot jam
½ cup sugar
1. Combine the flour, salt and turmeric in a shallow bowl.
2. Cut fish into halves and coat in the seasoned flour.
3. Heat oil in a pan and shallow-fry the fish in batches for roughly 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the oil and place in a large dish.
4. Place the water, vinegar, all the spices and salt in a pot over high heat and bring to the boil.
5. Add the onion rings, apricot jam and sugar and cook for 8 minutes. *
6. Remove from the heat and pour over the fish.
7. Allow to cool completely before covering it with cling wrap and placing it in the fridge. Leave it to pickle overnight. 8. Lightly toast hot cross buns and spread generously with butter. 9. Spoon over pickled fish and ENJOY!
*Serving suggestion: Hot cross buns, sliced in half Butter
Chef’s Tip: Don’t overcook the onions as it is important that they still have some crunch to them.