Lamb Stew with Samp n Beans
Lamb Stew with Samp n Beans (Serves 6)
Ingredients For the lamb stew:
1 kg lamb knuckles, cubed
Salt and pepper
Oil, for frying
chopped 2 tsp garlic,
minced 2 tsp hot curry powder (Rajah curry powder)
1 tsp turmeric powder (Robertsons Spices)
3 cups water 1 cube Knorrox stock cube less salt, mutton flavour
2 carrots, peeled and
sliced 6-8 baby potatoes, halved
I tbsp apricot jam
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
For the samp:
500g IMBO samp and beans
1.5l hot water
Salt to taste
Recipe For the lamb stew:
1. Season the meat with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil in a pot on a medium heat and fry the lamb in batches. Remove from the pot and set aside.
3. To the same pot, add a tablespoon oil and fry the onion and garlic along with the curry and turmeric.
4. Return the lamb to the pot and add 3 cups of water and the stock cube. Cover and cook for 30 minutes until meat begins to soften.
5. Add the vegetables and cook until tender.
6. Stir in the jam and coriander and set aside.
For the samp:
1. Rinse the samp and beans. Top with water in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil, switch off the heat and soak for 60 minutes.
2. Rinse, then add the samp and beans back to the saucepan and top with hot water.
3. Bring to the boil.
4. Reduce to a simmer and for 1.5-2 hours. Stir occasionally with a fork.
5. Cook until soft and most of the water is absorbed.
6. Serve the fluffy samp with a generous portion of lamb stew. Top with some fresh coriander. Serve and enjoy!